Day 17 - Reflection
Our past is the greatest of teachers.
Yet our future largely hinges on whether or not we realize what history is trying to teach us. To hear its message, we can start by developing a type of radical honesty—an honesty that’s both free of prejudice and full of understanding, built through deep reflection and acceptance.
Deep reflection is a lost art most of us were never taught. Yet, without learning to be truly contemplative, we find ourselves scattered, distracted, or worse—moving faster and faster toward the wrong finish line. Mastering reflection takes lots of practice, and even more patience—because it forces us to stop and look at the map, and regularly reevaluate where we’re going. ...read the remainder of the reflection here.
What are your current reflection practices? Which of these practices have you found to be most helpful to you? Take a moment to reflect on why this particular practice is so powerful for you.
- Pick a decision or ongoing issue you are struggling with. Take time and journal about this topic for 5-10 minutes everyday for a week.
- Take 10 minutes every morning or evening to meditate.
- Create a habit of journaling each day for 10 minutes. You can use the bullet space in your Monk Manual or use a separate notebook to collect your thoughts in. Whether you start by just writing down what you did that day, or just free write whatever is on your mind, the important thing is to build the habit and find what works best for you.
- Limit technology, email and/or social media to weekdays and let your weekends be a time of connection and reflection. Alternatively, decide no internet or phone before 8am or after 8pm.
Doing and Being Modules
- 1. Day 30 - Trust the Process
- 2. Day 29 - Courage and Honesty
- 3. Day 28 - Fear vs Love
- 4. Day 27 - Environmental Assessment
- 5. Day 26 - Time Review
- 6. Day 25 - Master Timeline
- 7. Day 24 - Goal/Project Assessment
- 8. Day 23 - Warren Buffett Exercise
- 9. Day 22 - To Do List (Master)
- 10. Day 21 - Start, Stop, Continue
- 11. Day 20 - Transcendence
- 12. Day 19 - Balance
- 13. Day 18 - Presence
- 14. Day 17 - Reflection
- 15. Day 16 - Relationships
- 16. Day 15 - Generosity
- 17. Day 14 - Order
- 18. Day 13 - Intentionality
- 19. Day 12 - Simplicity
- 20. Day 11 - Gratitude
- 21. Day 10 - Doing from Home
- 22. Day 9 - Redefining Success
- 23. Day 8 - Embracing Honesty
- 24. Day 7 - The Path to Simplicity
- 25. Day 6 - A Deeper Why
- 26. Day 5 - What's On Your Table?
- 27. Day 4 - A System of Life
- 28. Day 3 - Focus Isn't Enough
- 29. Day 2 - Formula for Fullness
- 30. Day 1 - Your Why
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh
- translation missing: en.general.accessibility.selection_help