Day 20 - Transcendence
At first glance,
transcendence might look like the ultimate culmination of all the other nine practices—the prize you receive after checking off all the others in chronological order.
But transcendence isn’t an outcome, it is a means. Our ability to connect with the Divine is innately within each of us, has always been within us, and, is what allows us to master the other practices. It quietly supports us, and guides us to greater perspective and understanding. It is the ground upon which all the other principles stand.
No matter your religious tradition or lack thereof, all spiritual paths agree on this central premise: there is something far, far bigger than our individual selves. Our common ancestors designed languages, developed ceremonies, and built their experience of life around these beliefs. What they’ve left is inspiring, albeit, imperfect language to help us understand this world that we live and breath in. ... read remainder of the reflection here.
Monks live an integrated, rather than event based, spirituality. What are the event based actions that make up your spiritual life? What are some ways you can better integrate your spiritual experience with the simple actions of your everyday life?
- Maintain an awareness of the big picture. Every time you’re faced with a decision, think about how you would feel about it at the end of your life looking back.
- Each day for a month write down one word you would use to describe God. At the end of the month prioritize the words based upon what resonates most deeply for you. Mark next to the words T for what you know to be true, E for what you need to explore, and B for what you think may just be baggage.
- Consider your family’s traditions and your spiritual upbringing. Find a daily or weekly tradition that you left behind and try practicing it for a month. Explore the roots of this practice and try to enter more deeply into its intention.
Doing and Being Modules
- 1. Day 1 - Your Why
- 2. Day 2 - Formula for Fullness
- 3. Day 3 - Focus Isn't Enough
- 4. Day 4 - A System of Life
- 5. Day 5 - What's On Your Table?
- 6. Day 6 - A Deeper Why
- 7. Day 7 - The Path to Simplicity
- 8. Day 8 - Embracing Honesty
- 9. Day 9 - Redefining Success
- 10. Day 10 - Doing from Home
- 11. Day 11 - Gratitude
- 12. Day 12 - Simplicity
- 13. Day 13 - Intentionality
- 14. Day 14 - Order
- 15. Day 15 - Generosity
- 16. Day 16 - Relationships
- 17. Day 17 - Reflection
- 18. Day 18 - Presence
- 19. Day 19 - Balance
- 20. Day 20 - Transcendence
- 21. Day 21 - Start, Stop, Continue
- 22. Day 22 - To Do List (Master)
- 23. Day 23 - Warren Buffett Exercise
- 24. Day 24 - Goal/Project Assessment
- 25. Day 25 - Master Timeline
- 26. Day 26 - Time Review
- 27. Day 27 - Environmental Assessment
- 28. Day 28 - Fear vs Love
- 29. Day 29 - Courage and Honesty
- 30. Day 30 - Trust the Process